Positive affirmations, or mantras, helped me summon inner strength on challenging days during my recovery from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and tap into a state of calmness.
Affirmations were also a small part of a self-directed neuroplasticity program I did to help my nervous system generate a parasympathetic recovery response that’s helpful for healing. I then made it come alive by describing joyful memories and future healthy visualizations.
Now that I’ve recovered, my affirmations practice has continued. Each morning I’ll write my health affirmation in my journal. I also fill my journal throughout the day with positive healing words.
Here are my favorite affirmations for nudging my body into a calm, healing state:
1. I am healthy and full of life. My body is regenerating and becoming stronger than ever.
2. A state of perfect health and calmness is within me, and I can always come back to it.
This is my personal favorite. It’s knowing that I’m not broken, but rather my body was built to heal. That I have an innate ability to bounce back. I’m no longer fearing the crash. Because I know I can always come back to a perfect state of health.
It’s here within me.
3. I am calm and relaxed in all situations. I can easily handle anything.
4. My brain sends calming messages down through my spinal cord and to all the neurons in my body. My cells perfectly communicate with one another.
5. My body is in a joyful state of harmony. I am in alignment with the good, healing vibrations of the universe.
6. I am invincible. My immune system is strong. My body can easily clear what it no longer needs.
7. With each step, I become stronger. I move lightly and easily. I can go anywhere and enjoy anything.
Disclaimer: I never used these affirmations to push my body beyond it’s health zone. These affirmations were about calming my brain so I could improve my body’s natural ability to heal and create new joyful pathways associated with movement.
8. I am vibrant.
9. Everflowing energy runs through me.
10. My neuroplastic brain is creating new healthy and joyful pathways. My limbic system is calm and knows everything is good.
11. I let go of what no longer serves me. I see the good and the opportunity in all situations.
This is another favorite.
12. I speak freely with truth and love.
13. Miracles happen every day, they have happened to me before, they happen to others, they are happening to me right now, and they will continue to happen.
This one gives me the tingles. My health recovery journey involved a spiritual element. While my journey was about self-discovery and empowerment, it was also one of faith and alignment with something greater than myself. I’ll be sharing more about that in a future post.
These affirmations have helped calm my limbic system and helped me tap into my body’s innate ability to heal.
Throughout the day I’ll also fill my journal with shorter mantras like “I am healthy,” “I am loved,” “I am relaxed,” and “I am carefree.” It’s become a habit when my mind wanders or I’m feeling stressed.
Do you have a favorite health affirmation of your own? I’d love to hear from you.